“Why Rotary?” is a question that has been asked since the founding of the Rotary Club of Chicago in 1905.
Today there are more than 1.2 million Rotarians today, in more than 32,200 clubs, in 532 Rotary Districts and in more than 200 countries around the world.
Rotarians are business and community leaders who choose to give back to our communities in order to make them a better place for everyone to live, work and play.
For more than a hundred years, Rotary International has had a positive influence on improving the quality of living for humanity. There are very few people on this globe that have not been impacted by the work of Rotary.
Wherever you look you will see evidence of the presence of Rotary; Rotary meeting signs, community projects, and community events sponsored by Rotary.
Here a few good reasons to consider “Why Rotary”
We are neighbors, community leaders, and global citizens uniting for the common good. With you, we can accomplish even more.
1. The Opportunity to Serve: This is the best reason perhaps for becoming a Rotarian. Rotarians provide service to both the local and international communities; the opportunity to do something for somebody else; and to sense the self-fulfillment which comes from the process.
Rotarians direct their commitment to service at home and abroad through five broad Avenues of Service, that include:
• Club Service which focuses on making Rotary Clubs function effectively.
• Vocational Service which gives Rotarians the opportunity to contribute their expertise to the problems and needs of society. Every Rotarian is expected to take part in the growth and development of his or her own profession or vocation; to serve on committees and to teach youth about one’s job or vocation. Rotary helps to make one a better doctor, lawyer, teacher, etc.
• Community Service which encourages every Rotarian to find ways to improve the quality of life for people in their communities and to serve the public interest. Membership in a Rotary club makes one a better community citizen. The average Rotary club consists of the most active citizens in any community.
• International Service which exemplifies Rotary’s global reach in promoting peace and understanding. Around the world, practically every religion, country, culture, race, creed, political persuasion, language, color, and ethnic identity is found in Rotary. It is a cross section of the world’s most prominent citizens from every background. Rotarians become aware of their cultures and learn to love and work with people everywhere. They become better citizens of their countries in the process.
• Youth Service which recognizes the importance of empowering youth and young professionals through leadership development programs such as Rotaract, Interact, Rotary Youth Leadership Awards, and Rotary Youth Exchange. Rotary provides one of the world’s largest youth exchange programs; high school and college clubs for future Rotarians; and a host of activities designed to help family members in growth and the development of family values.
2. Friendship: . Rotary provides one of the most basic human needs: The need for friends and fellowship. Rotary is fun: Each Rotary meeting is fun. Rotary Club projects are fun. Rotary Social activities are fun. And Rotary service is fun.
3. Personal Growth and Leadership Development: Rotary is an organization of business and community leaders. Serving in Rotary positions is an education in leadership. There are many ways Rotary can help you become a better leader. Every week and at various events and functions, Rotary develops one’s personality, social skills and people skills. Rotary is for people who like people.
4. Prestige: Rotary is the oldest and most prestigious service club in the world. Its ranks are executives, managers, and professionals: People who make decisions and influence policy. The average Rotary club consists of the most active citizens in any community.
5. Networking and Business Development: Again, Paul Harris founded Rotary on the idea of friendship and networking. That idea still stands today. Everyone needs to network. Rotary consists of a cross section of every business community. Its members come from all walks of life. Rotarians help each other and collectively help others.
And there are dozens of more reason that you may ask “Why Rotary” but the reality is that Rotary is Bigger, Better and Bolder than most realize. Rotary is a GLOBAL influence and through the progressive efforts of our worldwide sphere of influence, we are making a difference. I say making a difference as we are not resting on our laurels. Instead each new day we are seeking out the most challenging needs of our communities, assessing the impact and finding methods and leaders to partner with us to find the solutions. Polio, Education, Clean Water, and so many more are just a few of the areas are being addresses today and we will not STOP until we meet or exceed our goals. As a Rotarian, we are considered ‘leaders of leaders, so as leaders we do what is expected. And finally, if you want an amazing reason to believe in Rotary … read the report on how the finances are handled in this worldwide organization.
Charity Navigator is the worlds most respected authority in grading how and where the money goes that comes in to serve for not-for-profit organizations. I am proud to shout out to the world that the Rotary Foundation of Rotary International ranks 4 out of 4 stars and is in the top 1% of organizations considered to be exceeding in all areas of fiscal responsibility. Click here to read the report for yourself, I encourage it!
So if you are a Rotarian reading this page, get excited and feel proud for what you are a part of. Share and bring others in to be able to become a part of something bigger than all of us. And if you are not a member of Rotary … what are you waiting for? Drop me a line now and I will personally get involved to connect you, or simply click here and find a local club to visit. One way or another, you need to check us out. It will be one of the best decisions you’ve ever made in your life!